« Home | JANUARY 3Do not imagine an outward form, a round o... » | JANUARY 2It is the glory of the people called Meth... » | JANUARY 1First let us agree what religion is. I t... »


JANUARY 4

At this season we usually distribute coals and bread among the poor of the Society; but I now considered they wanted clothes as well as food. So on this and the four following days I walked through the town and begged two hundred pounds, in order to clothe them that wanted it the most. But it was hard work, as most of the streets were filled with melting snow, which often lay ankle deep, so that my feet were steeped in snow-water from morning till evening. I held it out pretty well till Saturday evening, when I was laid up with a violent flux.
Journal, 4th January, 1785


This love we believe to be the medicine of life, the never failing remedy for all the evils of a disordered world, for all the miseries and vices of man.
Earnest Appeal