« Home | JULY 25I went to a gentleman who is much troubled ... » | JULY 24A loving word, spoken in faith, shall not f... » | JULY 23I am now, and have been from my youth, a me... » | JULY 22In like manner, if I could not continue uni... » | JULY 21I have spoken the more explicitly upon this... » | JULY 20Keep to the whole Methodist discipline whoe... » | JULY 19Do not rashly tear asunder the sacred ties ... » | JULY 1810. Be punctual. Do everything exactly at... » | JULY 176. Speak evil of no one; else your word es... » | JULY 16Keep your rules, and they will keep you.Let... »


JULY 26

The Great Salvation is at hand, if you will receive it as the gift of God.
Letter, 21st April, 1787


Lord King’s Account of the Primitive Church convinced me many years ago that bishops and presbyters are the same order, and consequently have the same right to ordain. For many years I have been importuned from time to time to exercise this right, by ordaining part of our travelling [sic] preachers. But I have still refused; not only for peace sake, but because I was determined as little as possible to violate the established order of the national Church to which I belonged.

But the case is widely different between England and North America. Here there are bishops who have a legal jurisdiction. In America, there are none, neither any parish ministers. So that for some hundred miles together there is none either to baptise [sic] or administer the Lord’s Supper.
To American Methodists, 1784