« Home | JANUARY 14When you help others, God will help you.... » | JANUARY 13If we see God in all things, and do all ... » | JANUARY 12I myself find more life in the Church pr... » | JANUARY 11A drunkard is a public enemy.A Word to a... » | JANUARY 10The passions have a greater influence up... » | JANUARY 9Observe all the time the greatest exactne... » | JANUARY 8You look inward too much, and upward too ... » | JANUARY 7If ever I should listen to that siren son... » | JANUARY 6Go on, for God is with you.Letter, 22nd O... » | JANUARY 5We do not place the whole of religion (as... »


JANUARY 15

I am content with whatever entertainment I meet with, and my companions are always in good humour. … This must be the spirit of all who take journeys with me. If a dinner ill-dressed, or hard bed, a poor room, a shower of rain, or a dusty road will put them out of humour, it lays a burden upon me greater than all the rest put together. By the grace of God I never fret, I repine at nothing. I am discontented with nothing. And to hear persons at my ear fretting and murmuring at everything is like tearing the flesh off my bones.
to Ebenezer Blackwell, 1755


We are really a company of poor gentlemen! But we have food and raiment and content.
to Christopher Hopper, 1774


It will be given you without money and without price; you know not how soon.
to Mr. Orchard, 1783