« Home | JANUARY 6Go on, for God is with you.Letter, 22nd O... » | JANUARY 5We do not place the whole of religion (as... » | JANUARY 4At this season we usually distribute coal... » | JANUARY 3Do not imagine an outward form, a round o... » | JANUARY 2It is the glory of the people called Meth... » | JANUARY 1First let us agree what religion is. I t... »


JANUARY 7

If ever I should listen to that siren song, “Spare thyself,” I believe my Master would spare me no longer, but soon take me away.
Letter, 10th January, 1783


By these marks, by these fruits of a living faith, do we labour to distinguish ourselves from the unbelieving world, from all those whose minds or lives are not according to the Gospel of Christ. But from real Christians, of whatever denomination they be, we earnestly desire not to be distinguished at all; not from any who sincerely follow after what they know they have not yet attained. No: ‘Whosoever doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother and sister and mother.’ And I beseech you, brethren, by the mercies of God, that we be in no wise divided among ourselves.
The Character of a Methodist