« Home | APRIL 21I returned to England in the beginning of ... » | APRIL 20A conversation I had yesterday with Brothe... » | APRIL 19In the ancient Church, when baptism was ad... » | APRIL 18Fortune in only another name for Providenc... » | APRIL 17Sufferings are the gift of God to you. An... » | APRIL 16The more labor, the more blessing.Letter, ... » | APRIL 15The generality of parents feed and increas... » | APRIL 14Possibly you may have another difficulty t... » | APRIL 13Trials are only blessings in disguise.Lett... » | APRIL 12Do just the same in the absence of your em... »


APRIL 22

Here were thousands upon thousands, abundantly more than any Church could contain; and numbers among them who never went to any Church or place of worship at all. More and more of them were cut to the heart, and came to me all in tears, enquiring with the utmost eagerness what they must do to be saved. I said: “If all of you will meet me on Thursday evening, I will advise you as well as I can.” The first evening about twenty persons came; the next week thirty or forty. When they were increased to about a hundred, I took down their names and places of abode, intending, as often as it was convenient, to call upon them at their own houses. Thus, without any previous plan or design, began the Methodist Society in England.
Sermon at the Foundation of the City Road Chapel


There is but one thing to do, let us live and die unto Him that died for us.
Letter, 3rd March, 1776