« Home | APRIL 12Do just the same in the absence of your em... » | APRIL 11Why is there sin in the world? Because ma... » | APRIL 10His grace is sufficient to keep you in, an... » | APRIL 9I do not wonder that all the trials you fee... » | APRIL 8Be zealous and active for a good Master, an... » | APRIL 7I must act by my own conscience, not yours.... » | APRIL 6I take nothing ill that was meant well.Lett... » | APRIL 5O praise God for all you have; and trust Hi... » | APRIL 4I seek two things in this world – truth and... » | APRIL 3God says to you as well as to me, “Do all t... »


APRIL 13

Trials are only blessings in disguise.
Letter, 24th July, 1780


Never, on any account, give a child anything it cries for. For it is a true observation (and you may make the experiment as often as you please), if you give a child what it cries for, you pay him for crying; and then he will certainly cry again. “But if I do not give it him when he cries, he will scream all day long.” If he does, it is your own fault; for it is in your power effectually to prevent it. For no mother need suffer a child to cry aloud after it is a year old. “Why, it is impossible to hinder it!” So many suppose; but it is an entire mistake. … My own mother had ten children, each of whom had spirit enough. Yet not one of them was ever heard to cry aloud, after it was a year old.
The Education of Children