« Home | APRIL 4I seek two things in this world – truth and... » | APRIL 3God says to you as well as to me, “Do all t... » | APRIL 2I submitted to be more vile, and proclaimed... » | APRIL 1Can anything but love beget love?Works, vi.... » | MARCH 31Money never stays with me: it would burn i... » | MARCH 30Nothing in the Christian system is of grea... » | MARCH 29Go on to universal self-denial, to tempera... » | MARCH 28Meantime, bear your cross, and it will bea... » | MARCH 27I am no politician; politics lie quite out... » | MARCH 26I can't think that when God sent us into t... »


APRIL 5

O praise God for all you have; and trust Him for all you want!
Letter, 11th July, 1778


Since I was six years old, I never met with such a severe trial as for some days past. For ten years God has been preparing a fellow labourer for me by a wonderful train of providences. Last year I was convinced of it; therefore I delayed not, but, as I thought, made all sure beyond a danger of disappointment. But we were soon afterwards torn asunder by a whirlwind. In a few months the storm was over. … But it soon returned … I fasted and prayed and strove all I could; but the sons of Zeruiak were too strong for me. The whole world fought against me. Then was the word fulfilled: “Son of man, behold! I take from thee the desire of thine eyes at a stroke; yet thou shalt not lament, neither shall thy tears run down.”
to Thomas Bigg, 1749