« Home | MARCH 30Nothing in the Christian system is of grea... » | MARCH 29Go on to universal self-denial, to tempera... » | MARCH 28Meantime, bear your cross, and it will bea... » | MARCH 27I am no politician; politics lie quite out... » | MARCH 26I can't think that when God sent us into t... » | MARCH 25All haughtiness, whether of heart, speech,... » | MARCH 24What are all the absurd opinions of all th... » | MARCH 23How many proofs must we have that there is... » | MARCH 22But sometimes this excellent quality, tend... » | MARCH 21Consult duty; not events. We have nothing... »


MARCH 31

Money never stays with me: it would burn if it did. I throw it out of my hands as soon as possible, lest it should find a way into my heart.
Letter, 6th October, 1746


You abound in leisure; I abound in work.
to William Green, 1789


Every good purpose will cool and die away if it is not as soon as possible put in execution. Only let us not undertake too much at a time.
to Peard Dickinson, 1789


You must not give place – no, not for a day – to inactivity. Nothing is more apt to grow upon the soul; the less you speak or act for God, the less you may.
to Elizabeth Ritchie, 1774


Who would wish to live for any meaner purpose than to serve God in our generation?
to R. C. Brackenbury, 1783