« Home | MARCH 21Consult duty; not events. We have nothing... » | MARCH 20Be serious and frequent in the examination... » | MARCH 19One cannot but observe throughout the whol... » | MARCH 18As Satan turned the heart of man, from the... » | MARCH 17I know, were I myself to preach one whole ... » | MARCH 16Are all our preachers merciful to their be... » | MARCH 15When our mind is hurried, it is hardly pos... » | MARCH 14Sometimes I cannot do good to others becau... » | MARCH 13It is a constant rule with us that no prea... » | MARCH 12You are to cure Robert Swanson of preachin... »


MARCH 22

But sometimes this excellent quality, tenderness of conscience, is carried to an extreme. We find some who fear where no fear is; who are continually condemning themselves without cause; imagining some things to be sinful, which the Scripture nowhere condemns; and supposing other things to be their duty, which the Scripture nowhere enjoins. This is properly termed a scrupulous conscience, and is a sore evil. It is highly expedient to yield to it as little as possible; rather is should be a matter of earnest prayer that you may be delivered from this sore evil, and may recover a sound mind.
Conscience


I see abundantly more than I feel. I want to feel more love and zeal for God.
Letter, 24th February, 1786