« Home | MARCH 16Are all our preachers merciful to their be... » | MARCH 15When our mind is hurried, it is hardly pos... » | MARCH 14Sometimes I cannot do good to others becau... » | MARCH 13It is a constant rule with us that no prea... » | MARCH 12You are to cure Robert Swanson of preachin... » | MARCH 11I really hope the Sunday Schools will be p... » | MARCH 10I long to have you more and more deeply pe... » | MARCH 9I go calmly and quietly on my way doing wha... » | MARCH 8Today only is yours. Look up, and He will ... » | MARCH 7If you could take one advice, it would have... »


MARCH 17

I know, were I myself to preach one whole year in one place, I should preach both myself and most of my congregation asleep. Nor can I believe it was ever the will of our Lord that any congregation should have one teacher only. We have found by long and constant experience that a frequent change of teachers is best. This preacher has one talent, that another. No one whom I ever yet knew has all the talents which are needful for beginning, continuing and perfecting the work of grace in a whole congregation.
to the Rev. Mr. Walker, 1756


Hear what preacher you will; but hear the whole of God, and beware of prejudice and every unkind temper.
Letter, 1759