« Home | MARCH 7If you could take one advice, it would have... » | MARCH 6It is not safe to live or die without love.... » | MARCH 5Your help stands in him alone. He will com... » | MARCH 4I love that word, “And Ishmael died in the ... » | MARCH 3Religion has nothing sour, austere, unsocia... » | MARCH 2The world may not like our Methodists and E... » | MARCH 1The best of all is, God is with us!Deathbed... » | FEBRUARY 29How necessary for everyone to be on the... » | FEBRUARY 28God grant I may never live to be useles... » | FEBRUARY 27I did my best; if I did wrong, it was n... »


MARCH 8

Today only is yours. Look up, and He will bless you all today.
Letter, 26th February, 1778


Above thirty years ago a motion was made in Parliament for raising and embodying the militia, and for exercising them (to save time) on Sunday. When the motion was like to pass, an old gentleman stood up and said: “Mr. Speaker, I have one objection to this: I believe an old book called the Bible.” The members looked at one another, and the motion was dropped.

Must not all others who believe the Bible have the very same objection? And from what I have seen, I cannot but think these are still three-fourths of the nation. … Would not all England, would not all Europe, consider this as a virtual repeal of the Bible? And would not all serious persons say: “We have little religion in the land now; but by this step we shall have less still.”
to the Earl of Shelburne, 1782