« Home | MARCH 1The best of all is, God is with us!Deathbed... » | FEBRUARY 29How necessary for everyone to be on the... » | FEBRUARY 28God grant I may never live to be useles... » | FEBRUARY 27I did my best; if I did wrong, it was n... » | FEBRUARY 26I have often thought of you as possessi... » | FEBRUARY 25You need not be reminded that there is ... » | FEBRUARY 24I do only one thing at a time, and I do... » | FEBRUARY 23If it be objected: “This conscience wil... » | FEBRUARY 22Is there no man that careth for these s... » | FEBRUARY 21My soul has been pained day by day, eve... »


MARCH 2


The world may not like our Methodists and Evangelical people, but the world cannot deny that they die well.
Lecky, England, iii, 150


In every congregation in England which I remember to have observed there was undeniably a faulty respect of persons. In our Chapel* there is a place kept for Lady Huntingdon till the Creed; if she does not come before then, any one takes it that is next, as also when she is out of town. I doubt whether this respect to her be not too great; but I yield in this point to my brother’s judgment.

We have no 5s. or 2s 6d. places at the Foundery, nor ever had, nor ever will. If any one asks me for a place in the gallery (we make no distinction but between men and women), he has it; I refuse none. And some hundreds have places there who pay nothing at all. First come also is first served, at every time of preaching. And the poorest have frequently the best places, because they come first.
to Mrs. Hutton, 1744