« Home | FEBRUARY 22Is there no man that careth for these s... » | FEBRUARY 21My soul has been pained day by day, eve... » | FEBRUARY 20Do a little at a time that you may do m... » | FEBRUARY 19Why is it that not only provisions and ... » | FEBRUARY 18O what mischief may be done by one who ... » | FEBRUARY 17Give Him your heart and it sufficeth.Le... » | FEBRUARY 16You cannot live on what God did yesterd... » | FEBRUARY 15Duty is all I consider. Trouble and re... » | FEBRUARY 14Do not encourage young raw men to exhor... » | FEBRUARY 13This religion we long to see establishe... »


FEBRUARY 23

If it be objected: “This conscience will make cowards of us all,” I answer: Let us judge by matter of fact. Let either friends or enemies speak. Did those who feared God behave as cowards at Fontenoy? Did John Haine, the dragoon, betray any cowardice before or after his horse sunk under him? Or did William Clements when he received the first ball in his left and the second in his right arm? Or John Evans, when the cannon-ball took off both his legs? Did he not call all about him, as long as he could speak, to praise and fear God and honour the King? as one who feared nothing but lest his last breath should be spent in vain.

. . . . . . .

Having myself no knowledge of the General, I took the liberty to make this offer to you. I have no interest herein; but I should rejoice to serve as I am able my King and country. If it be judged that this will be of no real service, let the proposal die and be forgotten.
to the Mayor of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, 1745