« Home | FEBRUARY 17Give Him your heart and it sufficeth.Le... » | FEBRUARY 16You cannot live on what God did yesterd... » | FEBRUARY 15Duty is all I consider. Trouble and re... » | FEBRUARY 14Do not encourage young raw men to exhor... » | FEBRUARY 13This religion we long to see establishe... » | FEBRUARY 12 You have need continually to be a... » | FEBRUARY 11Do what in you lies, and He will do the... » | FEBRUARY 10What is the real value of a thing but t... » | FEBRUARY 9About eleven it came into my mind that t... » | FEBRUARY 8They think and let think, and insist upo... »


FEBRUARY 18

O what mischief may be done by one who means well!
Journal, 12th October, 1760


Why are thousands of people starving, perishing for want, in every part of England? The fact I know; I have seen it with my eyes in every corner of the land. I have known those who could only afford to eat a little coarse food every other day. I have known one picking up stinking sprats from a dunghill and carrying them home for herself and her children.

I have known another gathering bones which the dogs had left in the streets and making broth of them to prolong a wretched life. Such is the case at this day of multitudes of people in a land flowing, as it were, with milk and honey, abounding with all the necessities, the conveniences, the superfluities of life!
to Lloyd’s Evening Post, 1772