« Home | FEBRUARY 8They think and let think, and insist upo... » | FEBRUARY 7It is the glory of the people called Met... » | FEBRUARY 6Vive hodie! (Live today). Letter, 21st ... » | FEBRUARY 5By the grace of God I never fret; I repi... » | FEBRUARY 4Be fruitful therefore in every good work... » | FEBRUARY 3It is safer to think too little than too... » | FEBRUARY 2As long as we insist on the marrow of re... » | FEBRUARY 1All is good which lies in the way to glo... » | JANUARY 31Go steadily and quietly on in the way wh... » | JANUARY 30Your calling is not only to do good, but... »



FEBRUARY 9

About eleven it came into my mind that this was the very day and hour in which I was taken out of the flames. I stopped and gave a short account of that wonderful Providence.
Journal, 9th February, 1750


I cannot deny that every follower of Christ is in his proportion the light of the world; that whosoever is such can no more be concealed than the sun in the midst of heaven; that, being set as a light in a dark place, his shining out must be the more conspicuous; that to this very end was his light given, that it might shine at least to all that look towards him; and, indeed, that there is one only way of hiding it, which is to put it out. Neither can I deny that it is the indispensable duty of every Christian to impart both light and heat to all who are willing to receive it. I am obliged likewise, unless I lie against the truth, to grant that there is not so contemptible an animal upon earth as one that drones away life, without ever labouring to promote the glory of God and the good of men.
to his father, 1734