« Home | FEBRUARY 5By the grace of God I never fret; I repi... » | FEBRUARY 4Be fruitful therefore in every good work... » | FEBRUARY 3It is safer to think too little than too... » | FEBRUARY 2As long as we insist on the marrow of re... » | FEBRUARY 1All is good which lies in the way to glo... » | JANUARY 31Go steadily and quietly on in the way wh... » | JANUARY 30Your calling is not only to do good, but... » | JANUARY 29This world never made anyone happy; and ... » | JANUARY 28When I had been a member of the Universi... » | JANUARY 27If you imitate any writer, let it be Sou... »



FEBRUARY 6

Vive hodie! (Live today).
Letter, 21st September, 1760


Many years ago, when I was at Oxford, in a cold winter’s day, a young maid (one of those we kept at school) called upon me. I said: “You seem half-starved. Have you nothing to cover you but that thin linen gown?” She said: “Sir, this is all I have!” I put my hand in my pocket, but I found I had scarce any money left, having just paid what I had. It immediately struck me: “Will thy Master say, ‘Well done, good and faithful steward? Thou hast adorned thy walls with the money which might have screened this poor creature from the cold!’”
Dress