« Home | JANUARY 29This world never made anyone happy; and ... » | JANUARY 28When I had been a member of the Universi... » | JANUARY 27If you imitate any writer, let it be Sou... » | JANUARY 26Love supplies all the essentials of good... » | JANUARY 25I am sick of opinions; I am weary to bea... » | JANUARY 24What is as clear to me as the sun at noo... » | JANUARY 23I love truth wherever I find it.Letter, ... » | JANUARY 22A calm, even spirit goes through rough w... » | JANUARY 21If he has bad tempers, he is no more a g... » | JANUARY 20To each of those of whose seriousness an... »


JANUARY 30

Your calling is not only to do good, but to do all the good you possibly can.
Letter, 27th October, 1784


I have thrown up my friends, reputation, ease, country; I have put my life in my hand, wandering in strange lands; I have given up my body to be devoured by the deep, parched up with heat, consumed by toil and weariness, or whatsoever God should please to bring upon me. But does all this (be it more or less, it matters not) make me acceptable to God? Does all I ever did or can know, say, give, for or suffer, justify me in His sight? Yea, or the constant use of all the means of grace? – (which nevertheless is meet, right and our bounden duty). Or that I know nothing of myself; that I am as touching outward moral righteousness blameless? Or, to come closer yet, the having a rational conviction of all the truths of Christianity? Does all this give me a claim to the holy, heavenly, divine character of a Christian? By no means.
Journal, 29th January, 1738