« Home | JANUARY 23I love truth wherever I find it.Letter, ... » | JANUARY 22A calm, even spirit goes through rough w... » | JANUARY 21If he has bad tempers, he is no more a g... » | JANUARY 20To each of those of whose seriousness an... » | JANUARY 19I gave notice of this* to the Society; t... » | JANUARY 18As long as you feel your own weakness an... » | JANUARY 17But it was not long before the stewards ... » | JANUARY 16It is a great thing to seize and improve... » | JANUARY 15I am content with whatever entertainment... » | JANUARY 14When you help others, God will help you.... »


JANUARY 24

What is as clear to me as the sun at noonday is not so clear to everyone.
Works, xiii. 289



I went to America to convert the Indians; but, O! who shall convert me? who, what is he that will deliver me from this evil heart of unbelief? I have a fair summer religion. I can talk well; nay, and believe myself, while no danger is near: but let death look me in the face, and my spirit is troubled.

It is now two years and almost four months since I left my native country, in order to teach the Georgian Indians the nature of Christianity; but what have I learned myself in the meantime? Why, (what I the least of all suspected), that I who went to America to convert others, was never myself converted to God.* I am not mad, though I thus speak; but I speak the words of truth and soberness.
Journal, 24th – 29th January, 1738

* – Wesley’s own note on this point reads, ‘I am not sure of this.’