« Home | JANUARY 22A calm, even spirit goes through rough w... » | JANUARY 21If he has bad tempers, he is no more a g... » | JANUARY 20To each of those of whose seriousness an... » | JANUARY 19I gave notice of this* to the Society; t... » | JANUARY 18As long as you feel your own weakness an... » | JANUARY 17But it was not long before the stewards ... » | JANUARY 16It is a great thing to seize and improve... » | JANUARY 15I am content with whatever entertainment... » | JANUARY 14When you help others, God will help you.... » | JANUARY 13If we see God in all things, and do all ... »


JANUARY 23

I love truth wherever I find it.
Letter, 13th October, 1762


As for me, I never think of my style at all, but just set down the words that come first. Only when I transcribe anything for the press, then I think it my duty to see that every phrase be clear, pure and proper. Conciseness (which is now as it were natural to me) brings quantum sufficit of strength. If, after all, I observe any stiff expression, I throw it out, neck and shoulders. Clearness in particular is necessary for you and me, because we are to instruct people of the least understanding.
A Good Style