« Home | JANUARY 19I gave notice of this* to the Society; t... » | JANUARY 18As long as you feel your own weakness an... » | JANUARY 17But it was not long before the stewards ... » | JANUARY 16It is a great thing to seize and improve... » | JANUARY 15I am content with whatever entertainment... » | JANUARY 14When you help others, God will help you.... » | JANUARY 13If we see God in all things, and do all ... » | JANUARY 12I myself find more life in the Church pr... » | JANUARY 11A drunkard is a public enemy.A Word to a... » | JANUARY 10The passions have a greater influence up... »


JANUARY 20

To each of those of whose seriousness and good conversation I found no reason to doubt I gave a testimony under my own hand by writing their name on a ticket prepared for that purpose, every ticket implying as strong a recommendation of the person to whom it was given as if I had wrote at length: ‘I believe the bearer hereof to be one that fears God and works righteousness.’

Those who bore these tickets (these ... tesserae, as the ancients termed them, being of just the same force with the ‘commendatory letters’, mentioned by the Apostle), wherever they came, were acknowledged by their brethren and received with all cheerfulness.
to the Reverend Vincent Perronnet, 1748


I must declare just what I find in the book.
Journal, 2nd November, 1772