« Home | JANUARY 17But it was not long before the stewards ... » | JANUARY 16It is a great thing to seize and improve... » | JANUARY 15I am content with whatever entertainment... » | JANUARY 14When you help others, God will help you.... » | JANUARY 13If we see God in all things, and do all ... » | JANUARY 12I myself find more life in the Church pr... » | JANUARY 11A drunkard is a public enemy.A Word to a... » | JANUARY 10The passions have a greater influence up... » | JANUARY 9Observe all the time the greatest exactne... » | JANUARY 8You look inward too much, and upward too ... »


JANUARY 18

As long as you feel your own weakness and helplessness, you will find help from above.
Letter, 15th October, 1785


But I was still in pain for many of the poor that were sick; there was so great expense, and so little profit. … At length I thought of a kind of desperate expedient. ‘I will prepare and give them physic myself.’ For seven and twenty years I had made anatomy and physic the diversion of my leisure hours, though I never properly studied them, unless for a few months when I was going to America, where I imagined I might be of some service to those who had no regular physician among them. I applied to it again. I took into my assistance an apothecary and experienced surgeon; resolving at the same time not to go out of my depth but to leave all difficult and complicated cases to such physicians as the patients should choose.
to the Reverend Vincent Perronnet, 1748