« Home | JANUARY 21If he has bad tempers, he is no more a g... » | JANUARY 20To each of those of whose seriousness an... » | JANUARY 19I gave notice of this* to the Society; t... » | JANUARY 18As long as you feel your own weakness an... » | JANUARY 17But it was not long before the stewards ... » | JANUARY 16It is a great thing to seize and improve... » | JANUARY 15I am content with whatever entertainment... » | JANUARY 14When you help others, God will help you.... » | JANUARY 13If we see God in all things, and do all ... » | JANUARY 12I myself find more life in the Church pr... »


JANUARY 22

A calm, even spirit goes through rough work far better than a furious one.
Journal, 23rd June, 1766


If anyone desire to know exactly what quantity of sleep his own constitution requires, he may very easily make the experiment which I made about sixty years ago; I then waked every night about twelve or one, and lay awake for some time. I readily concluded that this arose from my lying longer in bed than nature required. To be satisfied, I procured an alarum, which waked me the next morning at seven, (nearly an hour earlier than I rose the day before,) yet I lay awake again at night. The second morning I rose at six; but notwithstanding this, I lay awake the second night. The third morning I rose at five; but nevertheless I lay awake the third night. The fourth morning I rose at four, (as, by the grace of God, I have done ever since). And I lay awake no more.
Redeeming the Time