« Home | JANUARY 24What is as clear to me as the sun at noo... » | JANUARY 23I love truth wherever I find it.Letter, ... » | JANUARY 22A calm, even spirit goes through rough w... » | JANUARY 21If he has bad tempers, he is no more a g... » | JANUARY 20To each of those of whose seriousness an... » | JANUARY 19I gave notice of this* to the Society; t... » | JANUARY 18As long as you feel your own weakness an... » | JANUARY 17But it was not long before the stewards ... » | JANUARY 16It is a great thing to seize and improve... » | JANUARY 15I am content with whatever entertainment... »


JANUARY 25

I am sick of opinions; I am weary to bear them. Give me solid and substantial religion; give me an humble, gentle lover of God and man.
Works, xiii. 244


At noon our third storm began. … The winds roared round about us, and (what I have never heard before) whistled distinctly as if it had been a human voice. The ship not only rocked to and fro with the utmost violence, but shook and jarred with so unequal, grating a motion that one could not but with great difficulty keep one’s hold of anything, nor stand for a moment without it. Every ten minutes came a shock against the stern or side of the ship, which one would think should dash the planks in pieces. At this time a child, privately baptized before, was brought to be received into the Church. It put me in mind of Jeremiah’s buying the field, when the Chaldeans were on the point of destroying Jerusalem, and seemed a pledge of the mercy of God designed to shew us, even in the land of the living.
Journal, 25th January, 1736