« Home | JANUARY 28When I had been a member of the Universi... » | JANUARY 27If you imitate any writer, let it be Sou... » | JANUARY 26Love supplies all the essentials of good... » | JANUARY 25I am sick of opinions; I am weary to bea... » | JANUARY 24What is as clear to me as the sun at noo... » | JANUARY 23I love truth wherever I find it.Letter, ... » | JANUARY 22A calm, even spirit goes through rough w... » | JANUARY 21If he has bad tempers, he is no more a g... » | JANUARY 20To each of those of whose seriousness an... » | JANUARY 19I gave notice of this* to the Society; t... »


JANUARY 29

This world never made anyone happy; and it is certain it never will. But God will.
Letter, 5th July, 1783


This, then, have I learned in the ends of the earth, that I am fallen short of the glory of God. …

If it be said that I have faith … so the Apostles had even at Cana of Galilee, when Jesus first manifested forth His glory; even then they, in a sort, believed on Him, but they had not then the faith that overcometh the world. The faith I want is a sure trust and confidence in God, that, through the merits of Christ, my sins are forgiven, and I reconciled to the favour of God. I want that faith which St. Paul recommends to all the world … which none can have without knowing that he hath it (though many imagine they have it, who have it not); for whosoever hath it is freed from sin, … he is freed from fear, having peace with God through Christ. … And he is freed from doubt. … The Spirit itself beareth witness with his spirit, that he is a child of God.
Journal, 29th January, 1738