« Home | FEBRUARY 1All is good which lies in the way to glo... » | JANUARY 31Go steadily and quietly on in the way wh... » | JANUARY 30Your calling is not only to do good, but... » | JANUARY 29This world never made anyone happy; and ... » | JANUARY 28When I had been a member of the Universi... » | JANUARY 27If you imitate any writer, let it be Sou... » | JANUARY 26Love supplies all the essentials of good... » | JANUARY 25I am sick of opinions; I am weary to bea... » | JANUARY 24What is as clear to me as the sun at noo... » | JANUARY 23I love truth wherever I find it.Letter, ... »



FEBRUARY 2

As long as we insist on the marrow of religion, Christ reigning in the heart, He will certainly prosper our labors.
Letter, 18th January, 1786


Some years since, one of our preachers said: “Mr. W. has hindered me from marrying once, but I am resolved he shall not hinder me again.” He was as good as his word. Without asking my advice he married a woman of a thousand, who exercised him well while he lived and sent him to paradise before his time.
to Ann Bolton, 1780


I commend you for being exceeding wary with respect to marriage.
to Zachariah Yewdall, 1781 and 1785


If A. Mather had not been married, he might have done anything.
to Samuel Bradburn, 1781