« Home | FEBRUARY 14Do not encourage young raw men to exhor... » | FEBRUARY 13This religion we long to see establishe... » | FEBRUARY 12 You have need continually to be a... » | FEBRUARY 11Do what in you lies, and He will do the... » | FEBRUARY 10What is the real value of a thing but t... » | FEBRUARY 9About eleven it came into my mind that t... » | FEBRUARY 8They think and let think, and insist upo... » | FEBRUARY 7It is the glory of the people called Met... » | FEBRUARY 6Vive hodie! (Live today). Letter, 21st ... » | FEBRUARY 5By the grace of God I never fret; I repi... »


FEBRUARY 15

Duty is all I consider. Trouble and reproach I value not.
Letter, 6th May, 1774


One charge remains, which you repeat over and over, and lay a peculiar stress upon. It is the poor old worn-out tale of “getting money by preaching”. … But blessed be God, my conscience is clear. My heart does not condemn me in this matter. I know, and God knoweth, that I have no desire to load myself with thick clay; that I love money no more than I love the mire in the streets; that I seek it not. And I have it not, any more than suffices for food and raiment, for the plain conveniences of life. I pay no court to it at all or to those that have it, either with cunning or without. For myself, for my own use, I raise no contributions, either great or small.
to John Downes, 1759