« Home | FEBRUARY 9About eleven it came into my mind that t... » | FEBRUARY 8They think and let think, and insist upo... » | FEBRUARY 7It is the glory of the people called Met... » | FEBRUARY 6Vive hodie! (Live today). Letter, 21st ... » | FEBRUARY 5By the grace of God I never fret; I repi... » | FEBRUARY 4Be fruitful therefore in every good work... » | FEBRUARY 3It is safer to think too little than too... » | FEBRUARY 2As long as we insist on the marrow of re... » | FEBRUARY 1All is good which lies in the way to glo... » | JANUARY 31Go steadily and quietly on in the way wh... »


FEBRUARY 10

What is the real value of a thing but the price it will bear in eternity?
Letter, 30th November, 1770

I have often replied: (1) It were better for me to die than not to preach the gospel of Christ; yea, and in the fields, either where I may not preach in the Church or where the Church will not contain the congregation. (2) That I use the Service of the Church every Lord’s Day, and it has never yet appeared to me that any rule of the Church forbids my using extemporary prayer on other occasions.

But methinks I would go deeper. I would enquire, What is the end of all ecclesiastical order? Is it not to bring souls from the power of Satan to God, and to build them up in his fear and love? Order, then, is so far valuable as it answers these ends; and if it answers them not, it is nothing worth.
to John Smith, 1746