« Home | FEBRUARY 26I have often thought of you as possessi... » | FEBRUARY 25You need not be reminded that there is ... » | FEBRUARY 24I do only one thing at a time, and I do... » | FEBRUARY 23If it be objected: “This conscience wil... » | FEBRUARY 22Is there no man that careth for these s... » | FEBRUARY 21My soul has been pained day by day, eve... » | FEBRUARY 20Do a little at a time that you may do m... » | FEBRUARY 19Why is it that not only provisions and ... » | FEBRUARY 18O what mischief may be done by one who ... » | FEBRUARY 17Give Him your heart and it sufficeth.Le... »


FEBRUARY 27

I did my best; if I did wrong, it was not the error of my will, but of my judgment.
Works, xiii. 249


While we live let us work our Lord’s work betimes; and in His time He will give us our full reward.
Letter, 3rd February, 1790


“Child,” said my father to me when I was young, “you think to carry everything by dint of argument. But you will find by-and-by how very little is ever done in the world by clear reason.” Very little indeed! … Passion and prejudice govern the world, only under the name of reason. It is our part, by religion and reason joined, to counteract them all we can.
to Joseph Benson, 1770