« Home | MARCH 5Your help stands in him alone. He will com... » | MARCH 4I love that word, “And Ishmael died in the ... » | MARCH 3Religion has nothing sour, austere, unsocia... » | MARCH 2The world may not like our Methodists and E... » | MARCH 1The best of all is, God is with us!Deathbed... » | FEBRUARY 29How necessary for everyone to be on the... » | FEBRUARY 28God grant I may never live to be useles... » | FEBRUARY 27I did my best; if I did wrong, it was n... » | FEBRUARY 26I have often thought of you as possessi... » | FEBRUARY 25You need not be reminded that there is ... »


MARCH 6

It is not safe to live or die without love.
Letter, 10th August, 1775


If you go abroad, I would by no means advise you to go to France. That is no place to save expense; but it is the only place to make your sons coxcombs and your daughters coquettes. I cannot but think there is no country in Europe which would answer your design so well as Holland; and no place in Holland so well as Utrecht. It is within a day’s journey of Helvoetsluys, whence you go directly by the packet for England. It is a healthful and a pleasant city, and less expensive than almost any city in France. You may have more or less company as you please. There are schools for your children; and if you should choose it, a university for your sons; and I could recommend you to some valuable acquaintance.
to Robert Jones, 1784