« Home | MARCH 3Religion has nothing sour, austere, unsocia... » | MARCH 2The world may not like our Methodists and E... » | MARCH 1The best of all is, God is with us!Deathbed... » | FEBRUARY 29How necessary for everyone to be on the... » | FEBRUARY 28God grant I may never live to be useles... » | FEBRUARY 27I did my best; if I did wrong, it was n... » | FEBRUARY 26I have often thought of you as possessi... » | FEBRUARY 25You need not be reminded that there is ... » | FEBRUARY 24I do only one thing at a time, and I do... » | FEBRUARY 23If it be objected: “This conscience wil... »


MARCH 4

I love that word, “And Ishmael died in the presence of all his brethren.”
Letter, 16th March, 1783


I found my brother at Oxford, recovering from his pleurisy; and with him Peter Böhler; by whom, in the hand of the great God, I was on Sunday, the 5th, clearly convinced of unbelief, of the want of that faith whereby alone we are saved.

Immediately it struck into my mind, “Leave off preaching. How can you preach to others, who have not faith yourself?” I asked Böhler whether he thought I should leave it off or not. He answered: “By no means.” I asked, “But what can I preach?” He said: “Preach faith till you have it; and then, because you have it, you will preach faith.”

Accordingly, Monday, 6, I began preaching this new doctrine, though my soul started back from the work. The first person to whom I offered salvation by faith alone, was a prisoner under sentence of death.
Journal, 4th March, 1738