« Home | MARCH 4I love that word, “And Ishmael died in the ... » | MARCH 3Religion has nothing sour, austere, unsocia... » | MARCH 2The world may not like our Methodists and E... » | MARCH 1The best of all is, God is with us!Deathbed... » | FEBRUARY 29How necessary for everyone to be on the... » | FEBRUARY 28God grant I may never live to be useles... » | FEBRUARY 27I did my best; if I did wrong, it was n... » | FEBRUARY 26I have often thought of you as possessi... » | FEBRUARY 25You need not be reminded that there is ... » | FEBRUARY 24I do only one thing at a time, and I do... »



MARCH 5

Your help stands in him alone. He will command all these things to work together for good.
Letter, 14th February, 1786


Ever since I heard of it first, I felt a perfect detestation of the horrid slave trade. … Therefore I cannot but do everything in my power to forward the glorious design of your Society.
to Granville Sharp, 1787


“Mr. Wesley informed the Committee of the great satisfaction which he had experienced when he heard of their formation. He conceived that their design, while it would destroy the slave trade, would also strike at the root of the shocking abomination of slavery. He desired to forewarn them that they must expect great difficulties and great opposition from those who were interested in the system, that they were a powerful body. … As to himself, he would do all he could to promote the object of their institution.”
to Thomas Clarkson, 1787