« Home | MARCH 13It is a constant rule with us that no prea... » | MARCH 12You are to cure Robert Swanson of preachin... » | MARCH 11I really hope the Sunday Schools will be p... » | MARCH 10I long to have you more and more deeply pe... » | MARCH 9I go calmly and quietly on my way doing wha... » | MARCH 8Today only is yours. Look up, and He will ... » | MARCH 7If you could take one advice, it would have... » | MARCH 6It is not safe to live or die without love.... » | MARCH 5Your help stands in him alone. He will com... » | MARCH 4I love that word, “And Ishmael died in the ... »


MARCH 14

Sometimes I cannot do good to others because I am unwilling to do it: shame or pain is in the way; and I do not desire to serve God at so dear a rate. Sometimes I cannot do the good I desire to do because I am in other respects too unholy. I know within myself, were I fit to be so employed, God would employ me in this work. But my heart is too unclean. … Sometimes I cannot accomplish the good I am employed in, because I do not pray more, and more fervently; and sometimes, even when I do pray, and that instantly, because I am not worthy that my prayer should be heard. Sometimes I dare not attempt to assist my neighbour, because I know the narrowness of my heart, that it cannot attend to many things without utter confusion and dissipation of thought.
to his father, 1734


Be equally ready to do and to suffer His whole will; and aspire after all His promises.
Letter, 5th March, 1778