« Home | MARCH 11I really hope the Sunday Schools will be p... » | MARCH 10I long to have you more and more deeply pe... » | MARCH 9I go calmly and quietly on my way doing wha... » | MARCH 8Today only is yours. Look up, and He will ... » | MARCH 7If you could take one advice, it would have... » | MARCH 6It is not safe to live or die without love.... » | MARCH 5Your help stands in him alone. He will com... » | MARCH 4I love that word, “And Ishmael died in the ... » | MARCH 3Religion has nothing sour, austere, unsocia... » | MARCH 2The world may not like our Methodists and E... »


MARCH 12

You are to cure Robert Swanson of preaching too long.
to Christopher Hopper, 1773


If any other of the preachers exceed their time (about an hour in the whole Service), I hope you will always put them in mind what is the Methodist rule. People imagine the longer the sermon is the more good it will do. This is a grand mistake. The help done on earth God doth it Himself; and He doth not need that we should use many words.
to Mrs. Johnston, 1777


How shall we conquer if we do not fight?
Letter, 21st February, 1786