« Home | MARCH 18As Satan turned the heart of man, from the... » | MARCH 17I know, were I myself to preach one whole ... » | MARCH 16Are all our preachers merciful to their be... » | MARCH 15When our mind is hurried, it is hardly pos... » | MARCH 14Sometimes I cannot do good to others becau... » | MARCH 13It is a constant rule with us that no prea... » | MARCH 12You are to cure Robert Swanson of preachin... » | MARCH 11I really hope the Sunday Schools will be p... » | MARCH 10I long to have you more and more deeply pe... » | MARCH 9I go calmly and quietly on my way doing wha... »


MARCH 19

One cannot but observe throughout the whole story of Adam and Eve, the inexpressible tenderness and lenity of the almighty Creator from whom they had revolted: “And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him: ‘Where art thou?’” Thus graciously calling him to return, who would otherwise have eternally fled from God.

. . . . . . . . .

“The woman was deceived”, says the Apostle. She believed a lie; she gave more credit to the word of the devil than to the word of God. And unbelief brought forth actual sin.

. . . . . . . . .

Behold then both the justice and mercy of God! His justice in punishing sin. … And His mercy in providing a universal remedy for a universal evil! … That as in Adam all died, so in Christ all might be made alive.
The Fall of Man


It is enough that Christ is yours: and He is wiser and stronger than all the powers of hell. Hang upon Him, and you are safe: lean on Him with the whole weight of your soul.
Works, xii. 371; Letter, 13th July, 1768