« Home | MARCH 26I can't think that when God sent us into t... » | MARCH 25All haughtiness, whether of heart, speech,... » | MARCH 24What are all the absurd opinions of all th... » | MARCH 23How many proofs must we have that there is... » | MARCH 22But sometimes this excellent quality, tend... » | MARCH 21Consult duty; not events. We have nothing... » | MARCH 20Be serious and frequent in the examination... » | MARCH 19One cannot but observe throughout the whol... » | MARCH 18As Satan turned the heart of man, from the... » | MARCH 17I know, were I myself to preach one whole ... »


MARCH 27

I am no politician; politics lie quite outside my province. …

Perhaps you will say: “Nay, every Englishman is a politician. … We can in a trice reform the State, point out every blunder of this or that Minister, and tell every step they ought to take to be arbiters of all Europe.”

I grant every cobbler, tinker, porter and hackney-coachman can do this. But I am not so deep learned; while they are sure of everything, I am in a manner sure of nothing, except of that very little which I see with my own eyes or hear with my own ears. However, since you desire me to tell you what I think, I will do it with all openness. Only please to remember I do not take upon me to dictate either to you or to any one.
to a friend, 1768


This will endear and sweeten every cross, which is only a painful means of a closer union with Him.
Letter, 1st January 1770