« Home | MARCH 29Go on to universal self-denial, to tempera... » | MARCH 28Meantime, bear your cross, and it will bea... » | MARCH 27I am no politician; politics lie quite out... » | MARCH 26I can't think that when God sent us into t... » | MARCH 25All haughtiness, whether of heart, speech,... » | MARCH 24What are all the absurd opinions of all th... » | MARCH 23How many proofs must we have that there is... » | MARCH 22But sometimes this excellent quality, tend... » | MARCH 21Consult duty; not events. We have nothing... » | MARCH 20Be serious and frequent in the examination... »


MARCH 30

Nothing in the Christian system is of greater consequence than the doctrine of Atonement.
Letter, 7th February, 1778


If by Catholic principles you mean any other than scriptural, they weigh nothing with me. I allow no other rule, whether of faith or practice, than the Holy Scriptures; but on scriptural principles I do not think it hard to justify whatever I do. God in scripture commands me, according to my power, to instruct the ignorant, reform the wicked, confirm the virtuous. Man forbids me to do this in another’s parish; that is, in effect, to do it at all, seeing I have now no parish of my own, nor probably ever shall. Whom, then, shall I hear, God or man? …

Suffer me now to tell you my principles in this matter. I look upon all the world as my parish; this far I mean, that in whatever part of it I am I judge it meet, right and my bounden duty to declare unto all that are willing to hear, the glad tidings of salvation.
to the Rev. James Hervey, 1739