« Home | APRIL 2I submitted to be more vile, and proclaimed... » | APRIL 1Can anything but love beget love?Works, vi.... » | MARCH 31Money never stays with me: it would burn i... » | MARCH 30Nothing in the Christian system is of grea... » | MARCH 29Go on to universal self-denial, to tempera... » | MARCH 28Meantime, bear your cross, and it will bea... » | MARCH 27I am no politician; politics lie quite out... » | MARCH 26I can't think that when God sent us into t... » | MARCH 25All haughtiness, whether of heart, speech,... » | MARCH 24What are all the absurd opinions of all th... »


APRIL 3

God says to you as well as to me, “Do all thou canst, be it more or less, to save the souls for whom My Son has died.”
Letter, 25th March, 1774


You think the mode of baptism is necessary to salvation. I deny that even baptism itself is so; if it were, every Quaker would be damned, which I can in no wise believe. I hold nothing to be (strictly speaking) necessary to salvation but the mind which was in Christ … I wish your zeal was better employed than in persuading men to be wither dipped or sprinkled. …

I cannot answer it to God to spend any part of that precious time, every hour of which I can employ in what directly tends to the promoting of His love among men, in oppugning or defending this or that form of Church government. … I am called to other work; not to make Church of England men or Baptists, but Christians, men of faith and love.
to the Rev. Gilbert Boyce, 1750