« Home | APRIL 6I take nothing ill that was meant well.Lett... » | APRIL 5O praise God for all you have; and trust Hi... » | APRIL 4I seek two things in this world – truth and... » | APRIL 3God says to you as well as to me, “Do all t... » | APRIL 2I submitted to be more vile, and proclaimed... » | APRIL 1Can anything but love beget love?Works, vi.... » | MARCH 31Money never stays with me: it would burn i... » | MARCH 30Nothing in the Christian system is of grea... » | MARCH 29Go on to universal self-denial, to tempera... » | MARCH 28Meantime, bear your cross, and it will bea... »


APRIL 7

I must act by my own conscience, not yours. And I really have a conscience.
Letter, 7th March, 1780


Meantime let it be observed, I do not mean hereby, that the Spirit of God testifies this by an outward voice; no, nor always by an inward voice, although He may do this sometimes. Neither do I suppose that he always applies to the heart (though he often may) one or more texts of Scripture. But He so works upon the soul by His immediate influence, and by a strong though inexplicable operation, that the stormy wind and troubled waves subside, and there is a sweet calm; the heart resting as in the arms of Jesus, and the sinner being clearly satisfied that God is reconciled, that all his iniquities are forgiven, and his sins covered.
The Witness of the Spirit (II)