« Home | MAY 10All the blessings which God hath bestowed up... » | MAY 9Why have you not set on foot a weekly subscri... » | MAY 8No preacher is to preach three times in a day... » | MAY 7If you do build, take care to have windows en... » | MAY 6Your preaching frequently will be no hindranc... » | MAY 5Keep close to your rule, the Word of God, and... » | MAY 4A smoky room, a cold morning, a rainy day, th... » | MAY 3Parents are under a peculiar obligation, by d... » | MAY 2Let marriage also be sanctified or made holy ... » | MAY 1We are debtors to all the world. We are call... »


MAY 11

I have often repented of judging too severely, but very seldom of being too merciful.
Letter, 20th October, 1787


I am shortly to take my Master’s degree. As I shall from that time be less interrupted by business not of my own choosing, I have drawn up for myself a scheme of studies, from which I do not intend, for some years at least, to vary. I am perfectly come over to your opinion that there may be truths it is not worth while to know. Curiosity, indeed, might be a sufficient plea for our laying out some time upon them, if we had half a dozen centuries of life to come; but, methinks it is great ill-husbandry to spend a considerable part of the small pittance now allowed us in what makes us neither a quick nor a sure return.
Letter to his mother, 1727