« Home | MAY 11I have often repented of judging too severel... » | MAY 10All the blessings which God hath bestowed up... » | MAY 9Why have you not set on foot a weekly subscri... » | MAY 8No preacher is to preach three times in a day... » | MAY 7If you do build, take care to have windows en... » | MAY 6Your preaching frequently will be no hindranc... » | MAY 5Keep close to your rule, the Word of God, and... » | MAY 4A smoky room, a cold morning, a rainy day, th... » | MAY 3Parents are under a peculiar obligation, by d... » | MAY 2Let marriage also be sanctified or made holy ... »


MAY 12

You are all, I hope, pressing on to the mark! See! the prize is before you!
Letter, 19th February, 1779


It was in pursuance of an advice given by Bishop Taylor, in his Rules for Holy Living and Dying, that about fifteen years ago I began to take a more exact account than I had done before, of the matter wherein I spent my time, writing down how I had employed every hour. This I continued to do, wherever I was, till the time of my leaving England. The variety of scenes which I then passed through induced me to transcribe, from time to time, the more material parts of my diary, adding here and there such little reflections as occurred to my mind.
Preface to Journal, 1732