« Home | JULY 27Here therefore my scruples are at an end, a... » | JULY 27Here therefore my scruples are at an end, a... » | JULY 26The Great Salvation is at hand, if you will... » | JULY 25I went to a gentleman who is much troubled ... » | JULY 24A loving word, spoken in faith, shall not f... » | JULY 23I am now, and have been from my youth, a me... » | JULY 22In like manner, if I could not continue uni... » | JULY 21I have spoken the more explicitly upon this... » | JULY 20Keep to the whole Methodist discipline whoe... » | JULY 19Do not rashly tear asunder the sacred ties ... »


JULY 28

By this time I should be some judge of man; and if I am, all England and Ireland cannot afford such a body of men, number for number, for sense and true experience both of men and things, as the body of Methodist preachers. Our leaders in London, Bristol and Dublin are by no means weal men. I would not be ashamed to compare them with a like number of tradesmen in every part of the three kingdoms. But I assure you they are no more than children compared to the preachers in Conference, as you would be thoroughly convinced could you but have the opportunity of spending one day among them.
to Alexander Clark, 1772


God keeps you long in this school that you may thoroughly learn to be meek and lowly in heart, and to seek all your happiness in God.
Letter, 27th January, 1776