« Home | JUNE 12I allow that what is commonly called a reli... » | JUNE 11I have often thought of saying of Dr. Haywa... » | JUNE 10Do as much today as you can do without hurt... » | JUNE 9You are no more at liberty to throw away you... » | JUNE 8It is mere groundless imagination that I lov... » | JUNE 7There is a reward for bearing as well as doi... » | JUNE 6Labour to be serious, earnest, edifying in y... » | JUNE 5Stir yourself up before the Lord! Pray that... » | JUNE 4Walk in the narrowest path of the narrow way... » | JUNE 3You believe there is such a thing as light, ... »


JUNE 13

When I had lived upwards of thirty years, I looked upon myself to stand just in the same relation to my father as I did when I was ten years old. And when I was between forty and fifty, I judged myself fully as much obliged to obey my mother in everything lawful, as I did when I was in my leading-strings.

. . . . . . . . .

Do nothing which you know your parents disapprove.

. . . . . . . . .

I call those cruel parents, who pass for kind and indulgent; who permit their children to contract habits which they know must be afterwards broken.
Obedience to Parents


I frequently find a want of more light; but I want heat more than light.
Letter, 3rd May, 1777