« Home | JUNE 17I am glad you come a little nearer the good... » | JUNE 16I impose my opinions on none. … I make no o... » | JUNE 15In the evening I went to a Society in Wappi... » | JUNE 14A true Protestant believes in God, has a fu... » | JUNE 13When I had lived upwards of thirty years, I... » | JUNE 12I allow that what is commonly called a reli... » | JUNE 11I have often thought of saying of Dr. Haywa... » | JUNE 10Do as much today as you can do without hurt... » | JUNE 9You are no more at liberty to throw away you... » | JUNE 8It is mere groundless imagination that I lov... »


JUNE 18

I advise you: (1) be electrified (if need be) eight or ten times. (2) keep your body always open, and that by food (as baked, boiled or roasted apples) rather than by physic. (3) Wash your head every morning with cold water, and rub it well with coarse hempen towel. (4) I advise you and Sister Taylor to breakfast three or four weeks on nettle tea. Then you will find preaching, especially in the morning, one of the noblest medicines in the world.
to Thomas Taylor, 1775


O John, pray for an advisable and teachable temper.
Letter, 28th July, 1775