« Home | JULY 29The Service of the Roman Church is everywhe... » | JULY 28By this time I should be some judge of man;... » | JULY 27Here therefore my scruples are at an end, a... » | JULY 27Here therefore my scruples are at an end, a... » | JULY 26The Great Salvation is at hand, if you will... » | JULY 25I went to a gentleman who is much troubled ... » | JULY 24A loving word, spoken in faith, shall not f... » | JULY 23I am now, and have been from my youth, a me... » | JULY 22In like manner, if I could not continue uni... » | JULY 21I have spoken the more explicitly upon this... »


JULY 30

Is not Rome the mother of all Churches? We answer, No. The word of the Lord went forth from Jerusalem. There the Church began. She therefore, not the Church of Rome, is the mother of all Churches. The Church of Rome, therefore, has no right to require any person to believe what she teaches on her sole authority.

. . . . . . . . . .

The Church of Rome is no more the Church in general than the Church of England is. It is only one particular branch of the Catholic or Universal Church of Christ, which is the whole body of believers in Christ, scattered over the whole earth. … In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church.
Popery Calmly Considered


Let your eye be single; aim still at one thing – holy loving faith; giving God the whole heart.
Letter, 16th September, 1774