« Home | MAY 17The more labour, the more blessing.Letter, 9... » | MAY 16Thou poor sinner, stay not to be any better,... » | MAY 15Exhort all the believers, strongly and expli... » | MAY 14Find preachers of David Brainerds spirit, an... » | MAY 13Expect from Him, not what you deserve, but w... » | MAY 12You are all, I hope, pressing on to the mark... » | MAY 11I have often repented of judging too severel... » | MAY 10All the blessings which God hath bestowed up... » | MAY 9Why have you not set on foot a weekly subscri... » | MAY 8No preacher is to preach three times in a day... »


MAY 19

Loyalty in with me an essential branch of religion.
Letter, 25th June, 1777


I take knowledge, you are a young man; and as such, extremely peremptory. So was I, till I was more than thirty years old. So I may well make allowance for you. I was likewise as much bigoted to my own opinions as you can be for your life; that is, I thought them deeply important, and that all contrary opinions were damnable errors. Have patience and you will see farther. In a few years you will find out that neither these are half so necessary to salvation, nor those half so destructive as you now imagine.

. . . . . . .

Jealousy and suspiciousness I despise and abhor, as I do hell-fire. And I believe nothing, great or small, without such kind of proof and the nature of the thing allows.
to Samuel Furly, 1762