« Home | MAY 19Loyalty in with me an essential branch of re... » | MAY 18Work your work betimes; and in His time He w... » | MAY 17The more labour, the more blessing.Letter, 9... » | MAY 16Thou poor sinner, stay not to be any better,... » | MAY 15Exhort all the believers, strongly and expli... » | MAY 14Find preachers of David Brainerds spirit, an... » | MAY 13Expect from Him, not what you deserve, but w... » | MAY 12You are all, I hope, pressing on to the mark... » | MAY 11I have often repented of judging too severel... » | MAY 10All the blessings which God hath bestowed up... »


MAY 20

I received the surprising news that my brother had found rest to his soul. His bodily strength also returned from that hour. “Who is so great a God as our God?”
Journal, 19th May, 1738


I was much concerned yesterday when I heard you were likely to marry a woman against the consent of your parents. I have never in an observation of fifty years known such a marriage attended with a blessing. I know not how it should be, since it is flatly contrary to the fifth commandment. I told my own mother, when pressing me to marry: “I dare not allow you a positive voice herein; I dare not marry a person because you bid me. But I must allow you a negative voice: I will marry no person if you forbid. I know it would be a great sin against God.”
to Elijah Bush, 1781