« Home | MAY 21Whenever the Holy Ghost teaches, there is no... » | MAY 20I received the surprising news that my broth... » | MAY 19Loyalty in with me an essential branch of re... » | MAY 18Work your work betimes; and in His time He w... » | MAY 17The more labour, the more blessing.Letter, 9... » | MAY 16Thou poor sinner, stay not to be any better,... » | MAY 15Exhort all the believers, strongly and expli... » | MAY 14Find preachers of David Brainerds spirit, an... » | MAY 13Expect from Him, not what you deserve, but w... » | MAY 12You are all, I hope, pressing on to the mark... »


MAY 22

Look up, and wait for happy days!
Letter, 26th October, 1778


When I was about twenty-two, my father pressed me to enter into holy orders. … I began to alter the whole form of my conversation, and to set in earnest upon a new life. I set apart an hour or two a day for religious retirement. I communicated every week, I watched against all sin, whether in word or deed. I began to aim at, and pray for, inward holiness. So that now, doing so much, and living so good a life, I doubted not but I was a good Christian. …

I began to see more and more the value of time. I applied myself closer to study … I advised others to be religious. … The light flowed in so mightily upon my soul, that everything appeared in a new view.
Journal, 24th May, 1738