« Home | MAY 22Look up, and wait for happy days!Letter, 26t... » | MAY 21Whenever the Holy Ghost teaches, there is no... » | MAY 20I received the surprising news that my broth... » | MAY 19Loyalty in with me an essential branch of re... » | MAY 18Work your work betimes; and in His time He w... » | MAY 17The more labour, the more blessing.Letter, 9... » | MAY 16Thou poor sinner, stay not to be any better,... » | MAY 15Exhort all the believers, strongly and expli... » | MAY 14Find preachers of David Brainerds spirit, an... » | MAY 13Expect from Him, not what you deserve, but w... »


MAY 23

In this refined way of trusting to my own works and my own righteousness, I dragged on heavily, finding no comfort or help therein, till the time of my leaving England. On shipboard, however, I was again active in outward works; where it pleased God of His free mercy to give me twenty-six of the Moravian brethren for companions, who endeavoured to show me a more excellent way. But I understood it not at first. I was too learned and too wise. So that it seemed foolishness to me. And I continued preaching, and following after, and trusting in, that righteousness whereby no flesh can be justified.

All the time I was at Savannah I was thus beating the air. … I sought to establish my own righteousness; and so laboured in the fire all my days.
Journal, 24th May, 1738


Cleave to Him with your whole heart, and you will have more and more reason to praise Him.
Letter, 13th November, 1778