« Home | MAY 23In this refined way of trusting to my own wo... » | MAY 22Look up, and wait for happy days!Letter, 26t... » | MAY 21Whenever the Holy Ghost teaches, there is no... » | MAY 20I received the surprising news that my broth... » | MAY 19Loyalty in with me an essential branch of re... » | MAY 18Work your work betimes; and in His time He w... » | MAY 17The more labour, the more blessing.Letter, 9... » | MAY 16Thou poor sinner, stay not to be any better,... » | MAY 15Exhort all the believers, strongly and expli... » | MAY 14Find preachers of David Brainerds spirit, an... »


MAY 24

In the evening I went very unwillingly to a society in Aldersgate Street, where one was reading Luther’s preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About a quarter before nine, while he was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone, for salvation; and an assurance was given me, that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death.

I began to pray with all my might. … I then testified openly. … Then was I taught that peace and victory over sin are essential to faith in the Captain of our salvation.
Journal, 24th May, 1738