« Home | JUNE 20It is a stated rule in interpreting Scriptu... » | JUNE 19This is my answer to them that trouble me, ... » | JUNE 18I advise you: (1) be electrified (if need b... » | JUNE 17I am glad you come a little nearer the good... » | JUNE 16I impose my opinions on none. … I make no o... » | JUNE 15In the evening I went to a Society in Wappi... » | JUNE 14A true Protestant believes in God, has a fu... » | JUNE 13When I had lived upwards of thirty years, I... » | JUNE 12I allow that what is commonly called a reli... » | JUNE 11I have often thought of saying of Dr. Haywa... »


JUNE 21

I have sometimes thought you are a little like me. My wife used to tell me: “My dear, you are too generous. You don’t know the value of money.” I could not wholly deny the charge. Possibly you may sometimes lean to the extreme. I know you are of a generous spirit. You have an open heart and an open hand. But may it no sometimes be too open, more so than your circumstances will allow.

Is it not an instance of Christian (as well as worldly) prudence, to cut our coat according to our cloth? If your circumstances are a little narrower, should you not contract your expenses too? I need but just give you this hint, which I doubt not you will take kindly.
to his sister-in-law, Mrs. Charles Wesley, 1788


On Scripture and common sense I build all my principles.
to Samuel Sparrow, 1773